Solar Updraft Tower Challenge
Your task is to construct a solar updraft tower that will produce the most energy, but you need to play by the rules:
- Every team must submit a completed worksheet.
- The chimney must be:
- No taller than 6 feet
- Fit inside a circle with a 3 foot radius
- Be Free standing
- Be portable
- Your team is allowed to use any scrap items in the shop, including items from the prototype bins. The teacher will provide black paper and a single motor.
- Your team is allowed to use 1 item that is not found in the shop( teams will have to plan and bring in the item). Teams are not required to use an outside item.
- The first class period is all about research. What already exists? How do they work? What are the key features that make it work? How do the existing chimneys inform you on materials that you will need?
- Plan out what materials you will need. Include measurements and quantities.
- Sketch your design to be detailed.
- Collect your supplies and begin building. You have 4 class periods to build your chimney.