Design Thinking Project: Greengineering Lab Re-Design
This will be a whole-class(7 student) project.
Needs might include:
- Define the user needs for this space, through interviewing the users.
- Users include students and teachers- what do teachers need for their class?
- Categorize user needs and prioritize- Needs vs what is do-able-
- Describe the proposed solutions with diagrams of what the lab should look like
- Exploratory I and II
- Greengineering 101's- what do the Core 4 need?
- Greengineering 201', 301's
- General Engineering - Engineering Technology, Exploring Technology
Needs might include:
- Whole-class teaching space- seating, ability to project stuff, whiteboards
- Breakout session teaching/meeting space
- Short-term project prototyping
- Long-term project space such as aquaponics, algae,etc.
- Computer/Software needs- Fusion 360? SketchUp? Solidworks?
- Office space
- Storage for supplies
- Project storage
- Bike Storage
- Shop tools
- Virtual learning spaces
Precedent Study- How have others solved similar issues in the past?
Results of Study
- Clutter in much of space
- Clutter on tables
- Broken/Missing tools
- Not enough shelf space for storage of current projects and prototypes
- Not enough 18V chargers for battery-powered tools
- Inadequate ventilation for fuzinizer and spray painting
- Inadequate outlets at work tables
- Materials storage poorly organized
- Inadequate table workspace for Xplorer design challenges
- No storage available for bikes--how much are they used?
- Computers and design applications--adequate?
- Clear shelves and tables of old projects
- Discard unused materials
- Clear off tables at end of work periods
- Establish better cleanup routines for end of class- 5 or 10 minute warning?
- Better organization of materials-
- Storage Bins/Shelf Space for Prototypes
- Prototyping Materials
- Plastic Recycling
- Greengineering 101
- Aquaponics/Hydroponics Project Area
- Aquaponics/Hydroponics Supplies Storage
- Algae Project Area/ Supplies Storage
- Mycelium Materials Storage/Sterile Work Area
- Bicycles Work Area
- Bicycle Tools Storage
- Greengineering 201/301/Independent Study
- Project Storage Area and Bins
- Better tool storage- separate storage for
- bicycle tools
- Additional Worktables for Xplorers and Prototyping
- Pulley system for bike storage or put in back storeroom
- Add Outlet strips to tables
- More 18V charging stations for Ryobi and DeWalt Battery Packs(?)
- Portable fume hoods?
- General Purpose Worktables vs Specialized Workbenches with tools- general purpose benches with separate supplies create less unused space; many sites( NuVu, MIT Edgerton Lab) have small machine areas
- Mycelium project- what conditions does it need?
- How have others solved these issues?